I think http://lua-users.org/wiki/BuildingLua has good advice on how you can link your C++ code with a C Lua library on Windows, along with pointers to other useful wiki pages. It looks reasonable to me, but I haven't had to seriously manage DLLs since before manifests though.

On Mar 24, 2013 12:04 AM, "Spencer Parkin" <spencerparkin@outlook.com> wrote:
According to Luiz, (not sure if I've offended him yet), the app that embeds Lua and that would load my DLL module should be compiled with "-Wl,-E".  Of this the docs say...(italics added)...

-E

--export-dynamic
When creating a dynamically linked executable, add all symbols to the dynamic symbol table. The dynamic symbol table is the set of symbols which are visible from dynamic objects at run time. If you do not use this option, the dynamic symbol table will normally contain only those symbols which are referenced by some dynamic object mentioned in the link. If you use dlopen to load a dynamic object which needs to refer back to the symbols defined by the program, rather than some other dynamic object, then you will probably need to use this option when linking the program itself.
Hmmm.  I wonder how I do this with Dev-Studio's linker.

So...i tried my module with two different apps that use lua.  The first was the lua.exe that compiles with LuaPlus.  Perhaps it wasn't linked with the option named above?  The second was with a lua.exe I created myself from the Lua sources that loads Lua as a DLL.  The latter worked, of course, while the former failed with the duplicate VMs error.

I guess my next step is to try compiling my lua.exe by statically linking it with Lua, but also somehow export all symbols to the symbol table so that when my DLL is loaded by lua.exe, it doesn't go out and load it lua as a DLL, because it will already find the symbols it needs in the lua.exe?

Sorry, people are probably hating me more and more because of all the spam e-mail i'm sending to the list about this.  I'll shut-up now unless anyone happens to respond.

From: spencerparkin@outlook.com
To: lua-l@lists.lua.org
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:23:03 -0600
Subject: RE: C++ Lua modules not compatible with every Lua interpreter?

I'm at a loss.

The app can use Lua as a DLL or by statically linking with it.
The module can use Lua as a DLL or by statically linking with it.

This gives 4 possible configurations.  The _only_ one that works is the case where both the app and the module use Lua as a DLL, because in this case the app and the module can share the Lua code, which is what Kevin eluded to.  If the app is using Lua by statically linking with it, then I have idea how to write my module so that it doesn't define duplicate symbols.