The current smartlua discussion is relevant to this, but my question
is a little more specific and immediate in nature.

I need some advice for a friend (any Perry Mason fans out there?):

Let's say you have someone who's a long time programmer proficient in
Python (like Dirk), but is interested mostly in running Lua on
Windows, and doesn't want to pull out all the stops and go the gcc
build/make/etc. route. Further suppose that this person has played
with Lua/LuaDist/Lake/Lua For Windows/LuaRocks/etc. and had all that
stuff installed, but the SSD on his laptop crashed and he had to start
over from scratch. What would you propose as "The Way" to Lua
happiness the second time around? (The idea here being to embark this
time on a path to a deployment mechanism that's as close to the
utopian "smartlua" as is currently obtainable...)

My friend is a recluse, so I'll pass your suggestions along... :)

Mark