"Aaron B." <aaron@zadzmo.org> writes:
> My main point is that I don't trust Github to be around
> forever/robust/familiar, etc. Even Amazon has had outages.
> Remember when Yahoo was the king of search engines?

That's true of _any_ distribution site, and the particular
distribution site isn't a huge dependency -- it's trivial to change.
If github goes belly up (however unlikely this is in the near term),
then you change the distribution URL to something else.

You've got to put the packages _somewhere_, and unless you've got a
better idea, github seems as good as any -- it's certainly more likely
to remain stable/available than, say, luaforge ...

> I still don't see any advantages of Github above a generic tarball
> format + URL for distribution.

"Github" isn't the distribution format.  Git is the "format."

Changing "github" to some other git server in the future would be
easy.  That's not an issue.

Changing the underlying protocol would be a much bigger job -- but
that's fine, because git's not going anywhere (github probably won't
either, but git itself is vastly less likely to be an issue).

Now, of course you may have _technical_ objections to using git as a
distribution format, but I don't think future availability is an issue
at all.

-miles

--
Omochiroi!