On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Pierre-Yves Gérardy <pygy79@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hosting all packages on GitHub does not give you a star rating system,
> but you can see how popular a given package is, how reactive the
> author is to bug reports, etc..

But git (and specifically github) isn't everyone's way to doing
things. It forces people to use a particular way of doing things.
Granted, Michal Kottman's lua-git means that the _user_ doesn't need
Git, but still.

Making something like this work automagically depends on everyone
having a standard repo layout as well.  And how does one specify
dependencies?

I can't see the advantage over LuaRocks, really, and that system
already exists.  I will grant you that there is  a learning curve
(Dirk's 'pons asinorum') involved in packaging modules.  There is
already a self-service LR publishing option (rocks.moonscript.org)
where you can put up rockspecs and even rocks.  It would be rather
cool if it came with a simple wizard for generating rockspecs.

steve d.