On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Peter Drahoš <drahosp@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would recommend using git to store the files similarly to what Homebrew[3] does. This would also allow multiple people to accept and review pull requests when using GitHub.

That would be a technically satisfying solution, but not everyone uses
Git or is comfortable with it (Personally for 'social development' I
find github to be the best thing since sliced bread[1] but not
everyone's favourite cup of caffiene)

By just using the basics, HTTP, FTP and zip, one ends up with a simple
pragmatic solution for busy people.

Perhaps I'm wary of taking on more 'big infrastructure' projects.
Sometimes it's easier to hack than to engineer, just as it's more fun
to hack than document.  One of the common sins of the trade, I guess.

Not that I have any concrete proposal.  If I could help in making it
easier to build kitchen-sink Lua executables, that would be
sufficient. For instance, I could pack Jay's soar and lhf's srlua as
executables, plus a kitchen-sink executable that could be glued with
srlua to the result of soar.

On the subject of programs-as-zip-archives,  this is the approach
favoured by Love, I believe (sorry can't type the umlaut ;))

steve d.