2013/3/5 steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>:
> But that's all really to solve the problem of bootstrapping stuff on
> Windows, and then I must ask; would we not be reinventing existing
> packaging systems?  Isn't this exactly the problem that LuaRocks and
> LuaDist were meant to solve?  OK, it would be clever, and do static
> analysis like Jay's soar to find out what is required.  But all the
> fetching-and-deploying has pretty much been solved by LR and LD.

Both of these serve the much broader purpose of also building
libraries. That's beyond the scope of pure deployment(I know many
linux users will disagree). I wouldn't ask my users to install LR or
LD, but a single, portable executable that does some basic setup and
downloading of binary libraries to its own installation directory
seems useful. "Just download smartlua from over there, then unpack my
.lua files and you're good to go."