Not mentioned so far, Lua has some features that a lot other languages don't have: coroutines and the debug API.
Coroutines make you realize how comfortable asynchronous programming can be in contrast to how it is realized for example in node.js.
The debug API gives you not only reflection on data structures how you know it from many other languages but it enables you to also follow and inspect the code flow in your code. Sand boxing code is way easier in Lua than other languages. Any programming contest of realtime agents can be realized totally fair for yhe agents since you can set instruction limits for code execution - something that very hard to do in java or PHP or _javascript_ (and many other languages)- if at all.

More importantly, Lua comes WITHOUT language concepts that are wicked or plainly breaking consistency. When Crockford wrote in "_javascript_ the good parts" that he wished that there was a language with only good parts I thought that he should learn Lua as a lot of parts he mentioned to be good or bad are implemented in Lua the way he wished for.

Sadly, Lua is not very well known.

Things missing in Lua: deterministic garbage collection that would allow you to write objects that close and clean up handles or transactions the moment they leave the scope of execution. If 5.2 had this feature I would actually switch.

Eike

Am 06.03.2013 13:00 schrieb "Muqtheear S" <muqtheear.s@gmail.com>:
Thanks I got it.....

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Ico <lua@zevv.nl> wrote:
* On Wed Mar 06 11:22:26 +0100 2013, Muqtheear S wrote:

> Hi I am new to Lua Scripting, Can some body say me "What Lua can do that
> other programming languages can't do?".

The functionality of the language itself is by no means unique, it
shares features with a lot of other programming languages.

The outstanding feature that does make Lua stand out is the lack of any
dependencies from the underlying platform except an ANSI C compiler.
This allows Lua to run on almost any imaginable platform, which is not
something you'll find in any other modern dynamic language.
--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C