On 6 March 2013 15:31, Mark Gabby <mwgabby@gmail.com> wrote:
Come, come. There are at least a few things that Lua can do that other languages can't do. ;)

Lua can be easily embedded in an existing application, and can run programs without a lengthy compilation step. These features aren't unique to Lua, they're true of most languages in its class, though I daresay that embedding Lua in an application is easier than most of the alternatives.

mruby is easy to embed into C. A little rough at the edges but no harder than Lua.

Since Lua has a small memory footprint and few dependencies, it probably can be embedded in places where other scripting languages wouldn't fit.
Lua's speed also means it's better for applications where both runtime and the rapid iteration enabled by a scripting language is important, like games. In a sense, you could say Lua can do it quickly enough where other scripting languages can't.

S-Lang would also be up to the task as, I would suspect, would be Forth and a whole bunch of other languages. The embedded world has a whole host of programming languages that are compact and fast because they run on much lower spec hardware than Lua is used to.

Lua is a fine language but lets not start wearing rose tinted glasses.