On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> Having computed in the DOS era, I'm a big fan of the "everything in one
> tree" paradigm. An install is just an tar xzvf, and an uninstall is just
> rm -rf. Your app needs to know about few other facilities, and other
> facilities needn't know anything about your app.

this is how MacOS X apps are supposed to work: the "Photoshop" icon is
just a directory called "Photoshop.app" with a "is_bundle" flag that
tells the Finder to show as a single icon.

internally, there are subdirectories for application code (for several
CPUs), resources (icons, images, blobs, XML lists,etc) and any needed
library.  could be quite a load, but nobody blinks at a
multi-hundred-megabytes application anymore.

installation is supposed to be just: "drag this to your Applications folder"

:-)

....but still most "big" Mac applications use a lengthy install
procedure and litter the system with libraries, examples, and other
things you're not supposed to touch.

:-(

--
Javier