Petite,

Great points and good post. I would like to help. To whom do I report
for duty? (a rhetorical question, which contains my point, because
there isn't anyone.)

I would not call (I hope to god) Luarocks as the answer to an
ecosystem. Again, here is another example of a technically sufficient
(not qualified to proffer superlatives) solution with no leader to
say, "This doesn't work [in Windows / on the Mac / in Linux / with 5.2
/ at all], so it's out of the main repository and  relegated to some
ghetto-alternate meta-space."

Something like LuaBind, Lake, Penlight... wait a freaking minute... I think...

I nominate the politely-opinionated, super-nice,
full-of-contributions, and I'll-throw-in-smart (just to help sell it
to him)...

Steve Donovan

...as Lua's desktop scripting ecosystem Manager-In-Chief!

Steve: How can I help?

-Andrew