On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

>  Sure, Lua has
> a lot of tools, but from what I've heard and seen, they're in various
> stages of development, and a standard Lua installation doesn't contain
> them, which makes deployment tougher.

Perhaps.

On the other hand, if one needs  "SNMP, or quick-dev a GUI , or web app, or parse XML or
YAML", then there are gazillions of battle tested, industrial strength,  C libraries at one's disposal.

So, in practice, there are many building blocks available right now, right there.

Now that the basics are covered out-of-the-box, and specifically tailored to one's needs and wants,  one can spend some quality time building what one really wants to build. Using Lua :)