On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Patrick
<patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> On 13-02-21 11:40 AM, Thiago Lasso wrote:
>
> I'm wondering... are you allowed to make money out of Lua scripts?
>
> Yes, the license is MIT
>
> You can deliver as bytecode or source, either way it is copyright-able.

Lua is a programming language, just like C, C++, Java, BASIC, etc,
that all can be used to develop any type[1] of software. Whether you
can sell the software you make is entirely on you. Lua's MIT license
means you can even include the Lua interpreter/libraries themselves or
modified versions of them with your product. However, make sure to
check the licenses of any third-party libraries you use as well. Most
Lua libraries are licensed under MIT, but some are GPL or LGPL (which
still don't forbid the distribution or sale, but have some interesting
rules) or other licenses that you'd need to be aware of.

Also keep in mind that if you're writing scripts for an existing
program, such as a game, that program might also have rules in its
EULA, TOS, etc about selling or profiting from those scripts.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness
Mind, this isn't always true in practice; e.g. you can't write a NES
game in Lua, as there's far too little RAM to run the interpreter in,
but it's true for the vast majority of cases. (And you could always
build a cartridge with additional RAM, as many games did.)

--
Sent from my Game Boy.