On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
> <znmeb@znmeb.net> wrote:

>>> It's still very popular in some EDA tools, alas.
>>>
>>> B.
>>>

>> There are a lot of "legacy" Tk "applications" - they were coded when
>> Tk was the fastest way to make a usable and portable GUI and never
>> re-coded. The R language CRAN repository picker when you install a
>> package is an example. There's a fair amount of embedded Perl that
>> serves the same sort of function.
>
> Don't forget gitk and its ilk. I wouldn't be surprised if gitk is one
> of the most commonly used Tk programs still out there.
>
> /s/ Adam

The ActivePerl Perl Package Manager GUI was written in Perl/Tk and it
looks *spectacular* in comparison to most of the Tk GUIs I've seen. I
don't know what they did to achieve that - I haven't dug into the
source - but at least it's proof that a Tk GUI doesn't *have* to look
crappy.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStick/

The National Coal Institute reminds you, "There's no fuel like an old fuel."