On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:59:59AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
>> People still use tcl?!
>>
>> [granted I last used it circa 1993, but it was a very painful
>> experience...]
>
> It's still very popular in some EDA tools, alas.
>
> B.

There are a lot of "legacy" Tk "applications" - they were coded when
Tk was the fastest way to make a usable and portable GUI and never
re-coded. The R language CRAN repository picker when you install a
package is an example. There's a fair amount of embedded Perl that
serves the same sort of function.

Do people write much *new* code in (ba)(tc)(k)sh, Tcl/Tk or Perl? I
don't think so. Most of the new code I see these days is in JavaScript
/ CoffeeScript / Node.js or Python or Ruby/Rails. And, in my case, R.

I still write a fair amount of bash code even though every platform I
deal with has Perl and Python, mostly because I think Perl and Python
are overkill for running a wget/tar/configure/make/make install
sequence. If I had to do something with actual logic I'd probably
switch to Perl. ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStick/

The National Coal Institute reminds you, "There's no fuel like an old fuel."