On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 08:22:35PM -0500, Rena wrote:
> I'm curious if there are WebKit bindings for Lua? I know about LuaKit,
> but that appears to be more of a "build your own UI for a browser"
> project, about the opposite of what I'm after. I'd like to load WebKit
> as a module in a Lua script, feed it some HTML generated for the
> purpose, and display it in a window, query positions and sizes of DOM
> elements, basically use it as more of a UI toolkit than a web browser.
> Has anyone done this before?

You might want to checkout this project for inspiration, which is the only
one I know of which has successfully and comprehensively packaged WebKit
similar to the manner you describe, although it runs headless and renders to
buffers on request:

	http://phantomjs.org/

AFAIU, packaging WebKit as a library is troublesome. It makes assumptions
about threads and other global resources that something properly built as a
library would never do.

For a browser suite which has been sanely built from the ground up to be
embeddable and otherwise twisted into various projects you might want to
checkout

	http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

It doesn't do JavaScript, however, although that sounds okay for your needs.
(I've been toying with the idea of compiling JavaScript to Lua, and then
offering to add Lua support to NetSurf.)