There exists a long manual of the 5.1 VM by Kein-Hong Man. He has made a list of
5.2 differences that he might be willing to post when he sees this.

I started reading Kein-Hong Man's text recently and I enjoy his writing style. Good materials on VM internals are surprisingly rare (talking in general, not only of Lua) and Kein-Hong suceeds in making the topic a piece of cake to digest.

Kein-Hong, if you're reading this thread, I second Jason: I would also be glad to read your update on 5.2.

Peter

(Okay, in reality, cakes are not easy to digest. I should have used some other comparison. Steamed vegetables would do, I believe.)