We didn't pick tolua++ for a whole bunch of reasons, but the one indicated in your referenced message wasn't one of them - because every binding we investigated had that problem or something like it. (not that we researched every binding in existence, though)

If I understand you right, the problem you're pointing out is that the Lua programmer incorrectly kept an object around in Lua, that C/C++ code deleted, that the Lua program tried to use later; and that instead of causing an immediate crash or error, it didn't because C/C++ had coincidentally created another object at the same address.  Right? (or maybe I misunderstand the problem you're reporting?)

Is there a binding that solves that problem?  How did it solve it?

We use Lunar[*], and had considered making all of our pushed C++ objects derive from a common base that had a member variable for a 'serial number': a number which is unique for every C++ object for all time.[**]  The pushed object in Lua would have a copy of this serial number, and would be checked against the C++ object's serial number on every method call.

-hadriel
[*]We modified Lunar a bit, but we've been very happy with it.
[**]well... for hundreds of years anyway; even a 64-bit integer incremented on every object construction won't roll over for a very very long time.