On Jan 14, 2013, at 6:58 AM, steve donovan wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Joop Boonen <joop_boonen@web.de> wrote:
>> I wonder if tolua++ could be a part of lua?
>> It's not supported any more and it's still quite widely used.
>
> Well, it will never be part of the core Lua project, which is just the
> interpreter.

(Just bringing it up now because I noticed.)

"Core" means a bunch of different things. As Roberto and lhf usually use it, it seems to refer to either Lua without luaL_openlibs being called or more often just with luaopen_base (all of the non-module parts of _G including _G). The reference module refers to that basic library as the core. Lua 5.1 included coroutine.* in luaopen_base.

I've been pretty sloppy with this term, but I'm going to try to avoid it except to refer to Lua with only luaopen_base.

I've used "_G" as shorthand for "the globals you initially get at the /usr/bin/lua prompt". I think this is still useful in 5.2 as _ENV brings to mind scope manipulation rather than the initial environment.

Jay