You may want to try Lua Lanes library. It ships with thread-to-thread communication primitives and is stable and mature

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Thijs Schreijer <thijs@thijsschreijer.nl> wrote:
I'm working on a UPnP library for home automation. It publishes UPnP services based on drivers that interact with hardware. The services are based on a common api so anyone can add a driver for this own hardware. Consider it a generic gateway.Currently it uses coroutines through copas. And besides the pupnp library everything is Lua code.

Problem: in a system with multiple drivers, one bad driver can hang the whole engine

So I'm considering multithreading,  where each driver get it's own Lua state.

The intend is to run the software on embedded hardware. Typical routers or nas devices.

Lanes might be a good candidate for the job but I don't know its resource usage.

Any ideas, hints or tips?

Thx.
Thijs