On 26 December 2012 21:13, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> I built Lua on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 install recently. IIRC, I had to
>> install the ncurses dev package after I installed the readline dev package.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Although that seems consitent with the SO question,
> I find it strange that the readline package (dev or not) does not
> include the ncurses library, on which it seems to depend.
>
> So, what exactly does the readline library depend on in Ubuntu-12.04?

A meta-reply:

You can find package-building dependency info for Ubuntu at
http://packages.ubuntu.com

If you put "lua" in the search box, poke the "source package" button
and hit [Search], amid a hundred lua libraries, you see "lua5.2",
which takes you to

   http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/quantal/lua5.2

which shows that it needs libreadline-dev, but has nothing to do with
ncurses-dev

poking "libreadline-dev" will show you that it does not, in turn,
require ncurses either.

The other three build dependencies it names, debhelper, quilt and
libtool, are required by the Ubuntu (well, Debian) package-building
framework, not by lua itself.