> I built Lua on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 install recently. IIRC, I had to
> install the ncurses dev package after I installed the readline dev package.

Thanks for the feedback. Although that seems consitent with the SO question,
I find it strange that the readline package (dev or not) does not
include the ncurses library, on which it seems to depend.

So, what exactly does the readline library depend on in Ubuntu-12.04?

I think we had a discussion here about this before releasing 5.2 and the
consensus seemed to favor ncurses instead of termcap.