I see that an announcement ("soon") was made during the Lua Workshop 2012,
even including an ISBN - but as yet that number does not appear in any book
vendor searches.

Any timeframe as to when it will? Would love to put my pre-order in!

Disclaimer: I am one of the co-author of the following book.

For French speaking people, I would just like to remind that our new book "Le guide de Lua et ses applications" at the D-BookeR editions has already been released [1].
To my knowledge, it is the first book targeting mainly Lua 5.2 version, while explaining the differences with Lua 5.1 and LuaJIT 2.0.
The approach taken is rather different from "Programming in Lua" :
 - four authors having different Lua experiences
 - modular chapters
 - clear separation between learning and reference needs
 - coverage of some well known libraries

If you order the electronic version of our book, you can still have it for Christmas without any problem :-)

[1] http://www.d-booker.fr/