>> [Result
>> Time is CPU time (just diff in clock()).

> clock() is not the right tool in this case.

Sorry, I wanted to explain why, but forgot to do so before sending the mail.

Isn't clock() only accurate to 10ms? This would explain the round numbers
in your benchmark. A difference of 10ms might be noise in this case.
Measuring the wall-time on an otherwise idle machine should give more
precise results. gettimeofday should do it just fine.

   Jörg