> Strings are stored in a hash table but the string hash value is reduced
> modulo the size of the hash table and so it helps to compare string hash
> values for colliding strings before resorting to memcmp. See
> 	http://www.lua.org/source/5.2/lstring.c.html#luaS_newlstr

After reading this I applied the same optimization to my hash table
implementation.
Are you sure this is worthwhile? My unrepresentative performance tests are
somewhat slower (2-3%) than without this extra compare.

But I have no performance tests for Lua to double check.

Perhaps anyone can run their tests with "h == ts->tsv.hash &&" commented out.

   Jörg