On 12/14/2012 08:37 AM, SAN THO wrote:
  i am writing some code snipper which can deal with network (especially
wireless). Doing it in python is quite easy (i feel so because i'm new to
LUA). But I really wanted to try it out in LUA.

my requirements :

1. it should communicate with my external wifi interface (usb adapter)
2. should able to capture the network packets regardless of protocols
3. finally, a GUI will be super cool to have.
4. any GUI development IDE is available ?

Without answering any of your actual questions:

You might want to check out wireshark [1] and tshark, both of which already have integrated Lua scripting. They aren't lightweight, but they probably do everything that you want, unless you are just doing it for the experience.

If you're working only in Linux, you might also want to look at netfilter-lua [2] and maybe even PacketScript [3],[4] (which executes Lua on packets in-kernel), and you might find some relevant stuff in the OpenWRT project [5], such as the Lua interface to iwinfo and netifd.

-- David

[1] http://www.wireshark.org/
[2] https://github.com/sam-github/netfilter-lua
[3] https://github.com/dergraf/PacketScript