On 13/12/2012 14:34, Richter, Jörg wrote:
Denis wrote:

I'll do some perf tests probably later today. It's for a plain C string pool
(don't know if it looks like Lua's, haven't checked).
As with lua strings, since they know their sizes and thus I can use memcmp
instead of strcmp, size equality must be checked before, so there is a second
filter there anyway (after the one due to hash & modulo). This may explain
why yet another filter on hash alone possibly does not help much (except maybe
if strings commonly have same size).

Considering that this check is in the fast-path and lengths are mostly different
might explain why I have seen this.

PS: could not do perf tests yesterday (a hard to solve bug made me late). I'll do it using single-length input first, so that same-length-check does not enter the game.

Denis