currently I am working on a project which requires embedding a script into C++ application running on STM32L.

I was evaluating different options and I was looking for some suggestions on the same. I see you have worked with embedded Lua before and I thought you would be able to shed some light on this.

Actually, The idea is that most of our application(no OS, running on bare metal) which is written in c++ is going to talk to the hardware. We want some scripting capability to handle some high level stuff and directly communicate with the c++ application. It is mostly to provide some degree of flexibility and reconfigurability in the C++ application through the use of scripts. We only need some basic functionality from the scripts. Does Lua seems like a good fit? Do you think it will work on STM32L with 48KB RAM. Also, in terms of tools, what all tools do I require for the same. I assume that if I compile lua code to bytecodes before putting it on the processor, I may save some memory and then VM/elua is going to interpret the bytecodes. I will be cross-compiling from windows.