On 1 December 2012 21:22, Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:
> On 01/12/2012 21.12, liam mail wrote:
>>
>> I feel you need to build a solid foundation onto which knowledge is grown.
>

> That's just one of the possible paths, a respectable approach usually taken
> by schools ...

Although it is not just schools and are schools not using an updated
version of what craftsmen and others have been doing for centuries? It
is the understanding of dependancy relations for which Aristotle says:

"...Induction introduces us to first principles and universals, while
deduction starts from universals . . . Thus scientific knowledge is a
demonstrative state, (i.e., a state of mind capable of demonstrating
what it knows) . . . i.e., a person has scientific knowledge when his
belief is conditioned in a certain way, and the first principles are
known to him; because if they are not better known to him than the
conclusion drawn from them, he will have knowledge only incidentally.
– This may serve as a description of scientific knowledge."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episteme