"One ring to rule them all, ..." etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_ring

There are many ways into programming, IT, computer science, software engineering.

And the most important aspect is, and always will be: the ability to think.

Starting off with the idea that there is one particular tool that will guide your thoughts is doomed to teach you very little.

It's like teaching you to write by showing you how to use a pencil, or a fountain pen, or a typewriter, or MS Word.

Robby

On Dec 1, 2012 10:12 PM, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@znmeb.net> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pascal was designed as a language for teaching structured programming,
> but IT ended up being used for professional software engineering.
>
> I don't know if you can necessarily say it's SUITABLE for the task ;)
> but it definitely saw a lot of use.
>
> /s/ Adam

C was designed for writing systems programs - operating systems and
compilers. It took about ten years for the compilers to get good
enough for it to be competitive with FORTRAN for number crunching.