> , which works fine and installs bit.so into
>
>     /usr/local/lib64/lua/5.1/bit.so
>
>     lua: error loading module 'bit' from file './bit.so':
>         ./bit.so: undefined symbol: luaopen_bit

This means that you're loading bit.so from the current directory,
not from where it was installed. Moreover, the bit.so in the current
directory does not seem to be a Lua library.

Make sure LUA_CPATH or package.cpath contain "/usr/local/lib64/lua/5.1/?.so"
before ".".

To avoid surprises like that, we moved "." to the end of the paths in Lua 5.2.