On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
>> luajit-msgpack-pure seems on par with lua-MessagePack, except for some
>> bad
>> edge cases (iary10000, dary1000)
>
> I did some experiments with FFI (see the branch 'ffi'
> http://github.com/fperrad/lua-MessagePack/tree/ffi),
> but on my hardware, I don't see improvement.

Yes, François has shown me his code early and it turns out some
of my assumptions were wrong, including the fact that encoding
floating point numbers in pure Lua code is faster than using
a C cast with the FFI.

As far as I am concerned this library almost makes
luajit-msgpack-pure redundant. Also, I think there are too
many MessagePack implementations out there. I would like
to see a "standardization" around Antirez's and François'
implementations. If they could have compatible APIs it would
be even better.

If you need background on the mess MessagePack in Lua is,
read https://gist.github.com/2971290 ;) We have to move away
from this.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'd potentially be interested to use lua-msgpack-native, if it's faster than lua-cmgspack.
But I don't use luvit, and I'm really not familiar with it.
Is there a simple way to remove dependencies on luvit ?

I tried to make a quick and dirty rockspec file, but it doesn't seem to work.