> Most people think that programming should result in a visual reward of sorts. I think there is a tremendous amount of validity in that, but I haven't personally experienced it.

I tend to agree with this. I've experienced it with my 8-year old when I showed him turtle graphics in Lua (http://notebook.kulchenko.com/education/drawing-trees-with-turtles) and also with an introductory computer science class of high-school students I taught last summer.

I have about 50+ turtle graphics and spirograph type scripts in my EduPack (as well as few Love2d demos) and they may work well for 8-13 year olds as a starter (https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneEduPack). Most of scripts are very simple, but can generate some interesting graphics.

I also have a set of simple lessons, but it only covers basics of string and numerical operations (https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneEduPack/tree/master/programming-lessons). They are integrated with ZeroBrane Studio (in fact they are packaged with it), which provides formatting and links to navigate between the lessons, ability to execute commands from the IDE and run simple tests. The idea behind this integration is to minimize context switching between reading materials and tweaking or executing examples.

Paul.

ZeroBrane Studio - slick Lua IDE and debugger for Windows, OSX, and Linux - http://studio.zerobrane.com/