Ok - so I gather the silent hang isn't "quite expected" for some subtle
reason I haven't twigged.

> I'll make a guess that you're using Lua inside an application that
> is
> using [lua_]pcall() without appropriate error handling in place to
> report the error to you.

not knowingly - and I get other error messages just fine

> Another possibility is that the error
> happened inside a coroutine, you need to check the return value from
> coroutine.resume() in this case.

Well I'm not intentionally invoking coroutines. Simple single-thread bit
of equipment test s/w running on windoze.

Thanks - will cut bits out of my prog till it says something :-)

David