I prefer lua-repl has a plugin-framework as fast as it can. it makes someone write plugin to implement ideas in IDEAS.md.

you can use Serpent[1] to do pretty print. maybe you can use curses (or other ones?) to do console syntax highlight. and you can make command-line-filter (meta-cmdline, just like e.g. !xxx call os.execute 'xxx'), all that things need a plugin framework :-)

[1]: https://github.com/pkulchenko/serpent

regards,
Xavier Wang.