> Did you have this problem in real code? It should be a very rare situation, where all your program does is keep calling erroneous code without ever creating anything...

Our product (http://www.qscaudio.com/products/network/QSys/index.php ) allows user defined scripts to run based on events. One of those events can be a timer. We had a case where a script was run 100ms and would error out on the first line which filled up all available memory ( we turn off virtual memory ). That caused the kernel on the machine to start killing random processes which is a bad thing. Since the script can fail due to input parameters it doesn't we don't stop running the script because it failed once.

So it may be a rare situation but when you give users the ability to write scripts all bets are off.