Sorry for the long post, a shorter version of my question is:

When running some Lua script through the C API, and the script assigns
a custom _ENV (a sandbox whitelist) and then assigns some variables,
how can I access those variables later from the C API?

Using the same lua_State that was used to run the script, with the
lua_getglobal() function, all the assigned variables are returning as
nil. Am I missing something really important here? I've scoured
through the docs, the mailing list archives, google, and stack
overflow, and I can't find a straight answer to this... I see lots of
references to the Lua function debug.setupvalue(), but I don't
understand what that does or if I should be trying to use that to
solve my problem.