Here's a quote from "The evolution of Lua" by Roberto Ierusalimschy (and Luiz H. de Figueiredo and Waldemar Celes - http://dl.acm.org/authorize?976018):

"Lua is best described as a closed-development, open-source project. This means that, even though the source code is freely available for scrutiny and adaption, Lua is not developed in a collaborative way. We do accept user suggestions, but never their code verbatim."

Never accept someone's code verbatim? That seems extremely excessive in terms of rejection. (Seems like rejection is what you guys do best.)

Either way: So Lua's development, currently, is NOT open. "We accept user suggestions" is extremely vague and can mean just about anything, or indeed, as it rather seems here: nothing.

So, guys, we need a change here. I want an OS, I want Lua, and I want it to get actual PRIME exposure.

Not the silent let's-just-let-it-die treatment, like lua-l tends to give you.

This is more than "user feedback". This is a wake-up call.

If the Lua fathers are not willing to release their admittedly beautiful 19-year old daughter into freedom, we will have to resort to other means to free her and allow her to live a richer life than within the confines of her restrictive catholic home.

Catholicism is bad and deadly. Did you think about that before you signed up to a catholic house, Roberto? Maybe you should have. I see the symptoms of catholicisim in you, and it is not pretty. Everything crawls down to a halt in that kind of institution. Until any change, even change to the better, is regarded as a threat or a problem and is rejected - thus cementing the status quo. Which, more precisely, is usually a state of decay. Look at any catholic church in your town and you'll know. No life in it, no joy - no reasons left to go there.

I realize your university is not strictly a church. But the distinction is not that great. Actually it is rather small.

Either way: It's time for a change.

We could, for example, go from "Lua" to a kind of "Open Lua".

Just an idea.

Something has to happen, or Lua will stay in the niche. I don't want it in the niche. I'm not a niche guy. I'm prime time, and I want to take her (the girl, heh) with me.

Set Lua free, Mr. Ierusalim... whatever your name was, it is too complicated for me.

Nice greetings,
Stefan Reich

PS: I just met some beautiful guys from Brazil here on the street in Hamburg, Germany. That's how strong the connection is. Set her free, Mr... Whatever-your-name-was.

PPS: I might not read responses on lua-l. They're just too lame, overall.