On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Petri Häkkinen <petrih3@gmail.com> wrote:
> The blog article can be found here:
> http://www.grimrock.net/2012/07/25/making-of-grimrock-rapid-programming/

A good read, thanks! A few comments:

>  iOS and game consoles do not currently allow modifying code pages when the app is running, so LuaJIT can’t be used on those.

This is not true. You can use LuaJIT in interpreter mode on iOS and
(some if not all) major consoles. The LuaJIT interpreter is, on average, 2
to 3 times faster than the PUC interpreter (based on the benchmarks of
the LuaJIT site).

> Unfortunately merging upvalues/locals of patched functions is a nontrivial problem and I’m not even sure if it can be solved without changing Lua in some way.

Lua 5.2 has debug.upvaluejoin() for that purpose. I don't think it can
be done in vanilla Lua 5.1 (hence, LuaJIT).

-- Pierre-Yves