On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Michael Shalayeff <mickey@lucifier.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:03:23PM -0700, Dimiter 'malkia' Stanev wrote:
>> Bwt, sputnik means satellite in russian.
>>
>> (I'm bulgarian, but know some russian). Definitely there are plenty
>> of russian folks here, so they can confirm.
>
> the root "put" means a road or a path.
> the prefix 's' is short for "so" as in latin "co-"
> (russian kaputnik... oj ;)
> and suffix "nik" brings the meaning to as the doer or
> the knower of the roading. thus a traveller.
> since satelites like the moon and those of other planets
> were already called "sputnik" so it was reused for
> an artificial satelite as well.
>
>> On 7/23/2012 10:43 AM, Jeff Pohlmeyer wrote:
>> >This might be considered off-topic, but maybe it is worth mentioning:
>> >
>> >   http://tinyurl.com/sputnik-dell
>
> cu
> --
>     paranoic mickey      (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)

My recollection is that the English translation of Sputnik is "fellow
traveler" - it had nothing to do with "satellites", natural or
artificial. ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Studio
http://j.mp/CompJournStudio

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.