On 07/07/2012 16.22, Andrew Starks wrote:
I think that all coercion should be out of the language, including the
coercion of nil to false.

I think nil evaluating to false in boolean expressions is just too convenient to lose, e.g. when checking if a value exists or is valid, or in ternary expressions (a and b or c).

Having to check for equality to nil (or using "exists()") would add a substantial amount of code and make it less readable, increasing the probability of mistakes.

To be clear: in C++ I prefer to avoid "if(v)" when v is not a boolean, but in Lua I use it routinely.

--
  Enrico