On 6 July 2012 15:56, Michal Kottman <k0mpjut0r@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 July 2012 15:16, Owen Shepherd <owen.shepherd@e43.eu> wrote:
> The slnunicode library [1], which provides Unicode-enabled versions of
> string.* functions, totals to ~60KB when compiled. I'm not sure
> whether it covers the whole set of Unicode characters (most probably
> not), but it does cover what a "basic user" would require (i.e. match
> and gsub on UTF-8 strings, with extended character classes).
>
> [1] http://files.luaforge.net/releases/sln/slnunicode

I seem to remember that it only supports the BMP. However, since it's
based on a code generating script from TCL, much of the work can be
taken from their evolving script. They've since added support for
Unicode 6.1 and I think supplementary plane characters are on their
todo list.

RE: this thread in general. I think people massively over-think things
when it comes to Unicode "support". Most of the time you don't need
any extra "support" for simple operations and when you do need it, a
simple library like slnunicode can handle most of the common
requirements.