Justin Cormack <justin@specialbusservice.com> writes:
> I can't imagine that anyone would want to support UTF-16 today,
> except conversions for use with other systems. It was only popular
> because it was fixed length, but now it isn't it has no benefits.

I suppose in most cases people want to use it for compatibility
reasons, e.g., for interaction with MS libraries (MS having dug itself
into a deep and odoriferous hole with their embrace of it).

> I would be happy to help work on a more comprehensive UTF-8 library; it
> would be good to draw up a scope for what people want.

Please see the previous threads on this subject.

E.g.: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2012-02/msg00289.html

[read the whole thread]

-miles

--