On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Simon Orde <sorde@gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:

I'm a great fan of Lua.  Support for Unicode is really important for me though.  The above strategy, if correct, is probably OK for my purposes. Ideally I'd prefer script-writers to be able to write scripts in UTF-16 and work entirely in UTF-16 - but I can live without that.  But it will only really work when support for UTF-8 becomes available in IUP - and, ideally, other Lua libraries.  So does anyone know what work, if any, is currently being done on adding support for UTF-8 (or UTF-16?) Lua strings in Lua libraries - such as IUP?

I can't imagine that anyone would want to support UTF-16 today, except conversions for use with other systems. It was only popular because it was fixed length, but now it isn't it has no benefits.

I would be happy to help work on a more comprehensive UTF-8 library; it would be good to draw up a scope for what people want.

Justin