This is how I grew up back in Bulgaria.

Actually a lot of our kid movies, were about kids roaming the streets while their parents were at the beach, or doing shopping, etc.

Well I also did the shopping too, did no mind buying cigarettes or beer for my granddady. After all I got the empty bottles then, and was able to get me some money.

When I was 5 and my cousin 6, we took a trip one morning from one of the beach cities down to my home town (20-25km) - it was because I wanted my plastic truck from my grandma/granddad.

I can't imagine even thinking about this, here in US.

Anyway, what I remember was that I did had a lot of respect to all grown-ups. Yes, there was far more slapping than nowadays (zero-policy), but I was bit afraid of them (not afraid as in scared, but afraid of doing bad things, as the grownups would see this and scorn me).

There is nothing like this now... And to finish my off-topic, here is a nice picture explaining part of the problem (safe):

http://imgur.com/UxG0h