Think of the sorting routine as a black box.

The sorting routine might've decided to copy the whole array somewhere, and empty 'o' all the time. You should not access these elements.

The sorting routine also expects strict ordering. The only thing you have to do is just return whether something is bigger or smaller than anything else - nothing else.

Probably the 'qsort' algorithm is used (but that's just another detail), and if you invalidate the ordering the algorithm might not finish, or do something crazy.

You are doing exactly that, e.g. relying on side effects. There is nothing reasonable about that.