I suspect so too, but (1) it's not stated anywhere that it's against
the rules and (2) changing to "o[a] and 0 or 9" fixes it, which should
make no difference.

And I'm only reading the table, which should not trigger any
modification in it (even though it may be in some strange/intermediate
state).

Paul.