>A more portable solution might be to let the luaV_execute function
>register its activation record somewhere and use this information
>instead of the stack peeking.

This is the solution that I have finally implemented. It's intrusive but portable.
Together with our home-grown logging framework that also provides a function
stack (with file&line) we get some pretty nice merged backtraces.

It isn’t signal safe and won't be any time soon. But who cares much when the
process is about to core.

   Jörg