On May 3, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Mike Pall wrote:

> Alexander Gladysh wrote:
>> I've got the same error on each run (guess I'm lucky today). With ASLR
>> on, errors are different, and majority of run do not fail.
>
> Well, then it should be much easier to reduce the test case. Also,
> if ASLR is off, AFAIR you'll get exactly the same memory layout as
> long as all binaries and libraries stay the same.

One fun chunk of debugging randomness, literally, is the cookie used for stack-smashing checks.

I was trying to figure out how to get at any bit of Linux kernel-provided randomness for hash seeding. I couldn't figure out how to express it using public header files, even though it's just sitting there in TLS at %fs:40...on x86_64. And if you're going to asm, you might as well just grab it off the stack.

Jay