On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:
> My (sketchy) belief is that Lua syntax is not flexible enough to be
> ergonomic for bouncing in and out of process interaction,

Fair enough, given that Bash is a silly programming language ;)

The right tools for the job ...  I'm working on a little shell called
luaish, which was an spin-off from my linenoise experiments.  It does
completion on global Lua variables (st<tab>.s<tab> gives you
string.sub, for instance), shortcuts (like 'fn' for function) but also
has a shell sub-mode; if a line begins with . then it's assumed to be
a shell command, _plus_ the completion then works on filenames.  So
the languages are kept quite separate.

steve d.