On 24 April 2012 03:22, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me, the really interesting idea isn't "what if we wrote a whole OS
> in Lua", but "what if we took the nice scriptablility that Lua offers,
> and extended it to an entire OS". Any scripting language could
> probably do the job; I just feel Lua is one of the best. :-)
>
> Already, I use Lua to script my text editor (TextAdept) and window
> manager (Awesome) to make them work just how I like.
> [...] I find myself wishing I could script all my other
> applications. Now imagine everything were already written in Lua and
> easily extensible and scriptable... some amazing things you could do.
> I dream of a day where I can program my computer to behave exactly how
> I want, right down to individual apps, without having to reimplement
> everything myself...

I think maybe you've got to the heart of it here - not implementing an
OS in Lua (imagine writing device drivers with no builtin bit
operations!) but making it so much easier to customise supplied
software by providing a scripted layer at a low level.

I guess your implementation strategy here would be to make a Linux
distribution using the best of such tools: awesome, textadept, gimp
and so on, and to add such scriptability to the best of the tools that
don't already have it, hoping to avoid the MSWordBASIC et al disaster
whereby any document propagates viruses as soon as you open it.